Saturday 6 April 2013

Comedy Fest Questionnaire: Dave Bloustein

Comedy Fest Questionnaire: Dave Bloustein



1) Tell us what your show is called this year?
The Social Contract

2)  Why?
It’s about the time I had to prove I was ‘funny’ in court, after a nightmare gig at a high school formal (or ‘social’). They claimed that I ‘wasn’t funny’, and was therefore in breach of contract. So there’s an extra incentive to make you laugh, or I lose my case.

3) Can you give us a few hints as to what broadly your festival show is about?
Social justice, the Law, what makes a joke ‘offensive’ and why ‘Natural Ice-Cream’ is always a dumb idea. And there will be a lot of stuff about racism and gay rights, et cetera. The usual lefty nonsense that I happen to believe in.

4) How much time have you spent crafting the show over the past 12 months since the end of the last festival?
Actually, this will be my very first NZICF, but I’ve had this show up my sleeve for a while. It received a Moosehead Award at the Melbourne Comedy Festival in 2009, so when I originally performed it, the court case hadn’t been resolved yet. I change and improve the material every night, and based on my experiences white water rafting in Queenstown, you’re a nation that cares more about common sense than laws, so I’m writing new material to reflect that.




5) The comedy festival is turning 21 this year – it’s a big age 21 – whatyou’re your memories of being 21? Or if you’re not old enough yet, you lucky person, what are your hopes for being 21?
When I was 21, I was studying Arts in Adelaide (which is a bit like Christchurch) and had just given up Law after studying it for two weeks. I’d also formed a punk-Lounge band called Mr. Ed’s. We were truly terrible, but did a killer Sex Pistols style cover of Dean Martin’s Volare.

6) The Comedy festival is one big party and catch up for a month - is there anyone you’re looking forward to seeing over here either socially or on stage?
Definitely Dr. Brown. I did a gig with Ben Hurley years ago, who told me I should come gig in Auckland, but I doubt he’d remember.

And I have some former neighbours who lived in Sydney and WOULD NOT SHUT UP about how awesome New Zealand was for several years. So I’m massively looking forward to catching up with them and overreacting to everything they point at.


7) What’s the comedy scene like at the moment who do you rate and why?
In Sydney there is a mammoth organisation that runs several venues and the comedy festival, and a really vibrant underground scene. In particular, there’s a room called Phuklub which is part stand-up, part performance art and it has rapidly become my favourite space there. It’s a bit like London in the 80s, just before the Alternative Comedy boom, with lots of interesting acts like Ben Ellwood, Alice Fraser and Doktor Jekyll champing at the mainstream. Also, Matt Okine and Michael Workman have been tearing up the scene lately. Look for them at future festivals.


8)  What’s the best piece of audience interaction you’ve had?
I love audience interaction, but one of the strangest was probably the time I was heckled by a homeless-looking man. He seemed to be carrying all his belongings on his back, like the junk-covered lady in Labyrinth. We did a bit of banter, and at the end he plucked a soiled mug from his right shoulder and gave it to me. I still have it.


9) What’s the most memorable part of performing for you within the last 12 months?
The terrible gig that I talk about in the show was on a boat that spent four hours cruising up and down the harbour. So when I did The Social Contract in Adelaide this year, I decided to do it on a boat, just to up the stakes.

Then one night, Neil Finn and Paul Kelly performed a massive outdoor concert right on the river bank to 30,000 people, just as my boat took off from the harbour. They were out of earshot for most of it, but as my show ended and we were coming back to the bank, they were singing “Don’t Dream It’s over”. And, as my last gag ended, they finished their song and 30,000 people stood and applauded. Then there were fireworks.


10) When we say New Zealand International Comedy Festival to you, what’s the first thing you think of?
An exciting new audience in a wonderful venue, full of beautiful people taking a chance on an act they don’t know, and who don’t mind a bit of flattery.


11) How would you persuade people to come and see your show?

I have a court report showing just how far I’m willing to go to prove that I’m funny. And I promise I won’t sue. Failing that, I’ll do puppy dog eyes (but not from actual puppy dogs … that never works).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Very latest post

Wonka: Blu Ray Review

Wonka: Blu Ray Review  Cast: Timothée Chalamet, Calah Lane, Keegan-Michael Key, Paterson Joseph, Matt Lucas, Mathew Baynton, Sally Hawkins, ...