Saturday 6 April 2013

Comedy Fest Questionnaire: Jeremy Elwood

Comedy Fest Questionnaire: Jeremy Elwood



1) Tell us what your show is called this year?
"Jeremy Elwood's Notes"
2)  Why?That's what it's based on - the "notes" I make while I observe this odd place we call home. I carry a notebook at all times, and here's what's in it. 

3)
 Can you give us a few hints as to what broadly your festival show is about?
Me! My take on issues, trends, social changes and life in general. And how I think you should think about them.
4) How much time have you spent crafting the show over the past 12 months since the end of the last festival?
Every year, the morning after the festival ends, I draw a big black line through my notebook. Anything I write after that line is fair game for the next years' show. So, to answer your question; every day.

5)
 The comedy festival is turning 21 this year its a big age 21 whatyoure your memories of being 21? Or if youre not old enough yet, you lucky person, what are your hopes for being 21?
I remember 21 like it was...16 years ago. Oh God. I didn't move to NZ until I was 14, and in other places I've lived, "The 21st" isn't such a big deal, so I remember organising a party literally the day before, because everyone else insisted I do. Good party, though.

6)
 The Comedy festival is one big party and catch up for a month - is there anyone youre looking forward to seeing over here either socially or on stage?
It'll be great to catch up with Mickey D and Fiona O'Loughlin, both performers I admire and who I am lucky enough to also call friends.

7)
 Whats the comedy scene like at the moment who do you rate and why?I know there's been a huge upsurge in media attention, and as a result, a lot of new faces; but I genuinely rate highest those who have been doing it in NZ for many, many years. Those who stuck with it when we really had no bigger stage than a weekend showcase or 3 minutes on TV once a year.

8)
  Whats the best piece of audience interaction youve had?
I had a guy yell something unintelligible immediately after I walked onstage, and after I finished abusing him I asked what he'd said. It was "I really admire your work, bro."

9) What
s the most memorable part of performing for you within the last 12 months?
Probably doing a gig just out of San Francisco in a full 125 year old theatre, with my wife Michele and Dana Carvey (Garth, from Wayne's World).

10)
 When we say New Zealand International Comedy Festival to you, whats the first thing you think of?
Well, there goes May.
11) How would you persuade people to come and see your show?
If you've seen me at a club, or on TV, what I do in a festival is really quite different. You're in my head for an hour, and I have a few things to show you that you might not expect. If that appeals, then I hope to see you there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Very latest post

Wonka: Blu Ray Review

Wonka: Blu Ray Review  Cast: Timothée Chalamet, Calah Lane, Keegan-Michael Key, Paterson Joseph, Matt Lucas, Mathew Baynton, Sally Hawkins, ...