Sunday 13 April 2014

Comedy Fest Q&A: Tom Wrigglesworth

Comedy Fest Q&A: Tom Wrigglesworth


Comedy Fest Q&A
TOM WRIGGLESWORTH

1) Tell us the name of your show
It’s called Utterly at Odds with the Universe

2)Which came first – the show name or the show content?
The name - my Granddad said it about me. We find out how in the show

3)C’mon, be honest….
Deadly serious…and you’ll find out why that’s true in the show!

4)Any other working titles for the show?
No, although when I was writing it I referred to it as ‘the one that could go either way’

5)How long – honestly- have you been working on this?
Took weeks and weeks to write. Performed it 20 times in preview, 30 times in Edinburgh, 40 times on tour….but I’m still ‘working on it’ - there’s always something you can tweak.

6)What’s been the biggest challenge of pulling this show together?
Being able to do it without crying was pretty tricky in the first instant. Then remembering the catalogue of call backs that are needed to make everyone else cry.

7)Who’s your biggest comedy rival – and why?
There’s a clairvoyant touring round UK called Sally Morgan, who sells out the big rooms in the theatres I perform at (usually in the smaller studio space grrr). She might not be in comedy per say, but the fact people turn up in their droves is a joke.

8)Who’s your biggest comedy friend – and why?
The compere who’s about to announce me on!

9)Which show is your must see?
Why?

10)Give us your definition of a great night out during the festival
You know - I’m so boring and professional these days, a great night for me is a belting show, following by sensible food and an early night, allowing me to do it all again the next day. I am aware that this might be somewhat at odds with a genuine festival goers definition of a good night out.

11)What goes through your mind, the minute before curtain goes up?
Why am I doing this? I used to have a proper job? Could I bolt it? I used to ask the manager to hide my coat before I went on, to stop me from running away!

12)What about when you’re on stage?
Next line…what’s the next line…speak clearly…

13)How easily distracted are you?
Oh I’m Mr Focused, I mean there is very…..oh look a butterfly.

14)Give us your dream comedy line up
Dave Allen, Ross Noble and Billy Connelly. I’ll man the door.

15)Just finally, where will you be in 5 years’ time
Looking back with rose tinted spectacles about the 24 hour flight to New Zealand I’m currently dreading

TOM WRIGGLESWORTH performs his solo show UTTERLY AT ODDS WITH THE UNIVERSE (AKL 6 - 10 May & WLG 12 - Sat 17 May) as part of the 2014 NZ International Comedy Festival in cahoots with Old Mout Cider (24 April – 18 May). For more info visit www.comedyfestival.co.nz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Very latest post

The Lie: Movie Review

The Lie: Movie Review Director: Helena Coan Making great fist of CCTV footage throughout, director Helena Coan builds a strong picture of 21...